Read this article about a new Russia-Nigerian gas company named (I kid you not!) Nigaz.
Other marketing blunders (I’m sure there are several others):
- Nova (a Chevy) means “does not go” in Spanish
- Vista (Microsoft) means “frumpy woman” in the country of Latvia
- Irish Mist (alcoholic drink), Mist Stick (curling iron from Clairol), and Silver Mist (Rolls Royce)—Mist means dung/manure in German
- Zyklon Sneakers (Umbro)—Zyklon was name of gas used by Nazi regime to murder Jews in concentration camps
- Honda Fitta (car)—Fitta is an old, vulgar word for women’s genitals in Swedish, Norwegian and Danish
Marketing Blunder…Don’t Know Whether to Laugh or Cry